Get Notified By Gmail When a New Video is Available (Zapier)
February 19, 2021 - Erikka Innes
This tutorial shows you how to configure Zapier so that whenever you add a new video to api.video, an email is sent notifying people. This is a no-code solution, you just follow the configuration steps to combine the applications using Zapier. If you've created an api.video zap before, you can skip ahead to the section 'Configure Gmail as Your Action Event.'
You'll need these things to successfully complete this project:
- api.video account
- Gmail account - if you don't have a Gmail account you can sign up for one here.
- Zapier account
- This tutorial assumes familiarity with Zapier. If you're not sure what Zapier is, please review the post Create Video Integrations Without Coding - So Easy It's a Zap! to learn about triggers and events.
Sign up for Zapier
To sign up for Zapier, navigate to the Zapier website, and click Sign up. We have more detailed instructions for the steps here: Create Video Integrations Without Coding - So Easy It's a Zap!.
After you're logged in, navigate to api.video's integration page: https://zapier.com/apps/apivideo/integrations. From the Choose an app to conect with api.video section click the Gmail icon. You'll be able to see popular integrations for api.video and Gmail. Next to Send Gmail messages when new videos are created on api.video click Try It.
Configure api.video as the Trigger Event
To get started, you need to configure api.video as the trigger event for sending an email. In Zapier, the trigger event is something that occurs with the chosen product that results in you wanting to take action. In this case, whenever a new video is created in api.video, we want something to happen.
- Make sure you've added a sample video to your account for testing. You should add it right before trying this tutorial. If you haven't, add something to test with now. We're using production here, so you'll want to add a video to your production environment before starting. If you need a sample, you can choose one from here: Sample Videos for Download
- You're prompted to choose your account. If you're already connected because you tried out a different zap with api.video, you'll see your account as a choice. Otherwise, you'll see Sign in to api.video. Click this option.
- You're asked if Zapier can have access to your api.video account. Enter your API key to get started. If you choose your production API key, you'll receive an alert whenever you add a new video to production on your account. If you choose your sandbox API key, you'll receive an alert whenever you add a new video to your sandbox. NOTE: You can get the key you want from my.api.video.
- After you enter your API key, click Yes, Continue.
- You'll see your account listed with the start of your authorization token if all goes well. Click Continue.
- Now it's time to set up your trigger. From the Trigger Event drop-down, select New Video.
- Click Continue.
- Leave the Title and Tags fields empty.
- Click Continue.
- You can now test your trigger. Click Test trigger. If all goes well, you get a response saying 'We found a video!' If not, the recommendation is to add a video to your account. Make sure you've added the video to right part of your account! You can add a video and try again. You can also clear your browser cache and try again. If it continues not working, contact us in our community forum).
Configure Gmail as Your Action Event
Now we'll configure for Gmail. Gmail is going to provide our action event. In Zapier, an action event is a response to a trigger event. When api.video sends notification that a new video is created, Gmail responds with an action event - which is sending an email to a list of selected recipients stating that the video is now available.
- Click Action 2. Send Email in Gmail.
- For Gmail, you need to sign in to configure for the Zap. Click Sign in to Gmail. A sign-in screen pops up. Click your account if you're logged in to continue with it, otherwise log in to the account you want to use.
- Zapier asks you to grant some permissions - you will be granting the ability to manage drafts and send emails, and view and modify but not delete your email. Click Allow. You are returned to the setup screen for your Zap. All email notifications about new videos will be sent from this email you've just registered.
- Click Continue.
- Now you'll set up the action in the aptly named Set up action section. This is where you add everyone you want to send notification to about videos. Most fields are optional - you do need the To field as well as who you are sending the notification to. The fields you can fill out are:
- To - Who the email will be sent to.
- Cc - Also who the email will be sent to. This is more about what it means for the recipient. It means the email is more sent for informational purposes and to keep someone in the loop rather than requiring them to respond.
- Bcc - Who should receive a CC but where no one else sees it except the recipient and the sender.
- From - You can choose who you want the from field to appear as. It must be an email address or alias associated with your Gmail account. If you don't choose something here, it defaults to your primary address.
- From Name - the name you want to appear instead of the email address being sent.
- Reply To - you may add a single reply email address besides the one you use to send emails with. This is where responses from recipients of your notification will go.
- Subject - You must put a subject for your email. Zapier suggests one for you, it's the name of your video plus a dynamic tag that will grab the title of the new video and provide it as part of the subject line. You can choose other data from the drop-down, and surround it with custom text.
- Body Type - You can choose plain text, or an HTML body. You can also choose to do something custom. Your choice will reflect upon the next area, where you can set up the content for the body.
- Body - Create the text for the message you want to send. You can add data dynamically by inserting fields. An example message is provided, where the title of the video, the video ID, and an iframe you can use to embed and play the video are provided.
- Signature - If you have signatures set up for your email, you can choose one to add here. You can also write a custom one if you prefer.
- Label/Mailbox - If you know what label or mailbox people store this type of message in, you can provide a label with your message.
- Attachments - You can attach a file or public URL for the recipient to use or view as part of your notification.
- Refresh fields - If you don't like what you added, you can click Refresh fields to start over again.
- After you fill out the fields the way you want, click Continue. You'll now get to review your message. You can see at a glance who you're sending to, from, and details like the subject of the message, its content nad any other information you may have included. If everything looks good, click Test & Continue.
- If there's an issue with how you've set up your Zap, you'll receive a notification to that effect, and the opportunity to correct it. Otherwise, you get a message saying 'Test was successful!' and a note saying an email was sent. You can now tweak your Zap to change recipients or other details as needed, and then click Turn on Zap if you want to start using this zap regularly.
Thanks for trying out the walkthrough with us today!
Posts You May Also Like